Move-In Day • New & Returning Students
Move-in Day marks the beginning of your Rochester University journey. We love welcoming new members into the RU family, and we want to make sure you feel welcomed and at home as soon as you arrive on campus. Move-in for NEW STUDENTS will occur Saturday, August 26 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Move-in for RETURNING STUDENTS will occur Saturday, August 26 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
- Don’t overpack – Don’t overload boxes making them too heavy to carry. You can avoid this common mistake by using smaller boxes. Smaller boxes are easier to manipulate when packing them into vehicles and much lighter for you and the move-in crew to carry.
- Be sure all your belongings are contained in boxes – Loose items are easily dropped or lost. Please make every effort to pack all your belongings inside boxes or containers. That includes hanging clothes, toiletries, shoes, etc.
- None of the buildings have elevators, so please try to keep boxes light to make it easier to carry upstairs.
- Bring a handcart or dolly
- Be patient!
Approved and Prohibited Items
Residents are allowed to bring the following items to campus:
- alarm clock
- extra long twin sheets
- pillow and pillowcase
- hand and bath towels
- toilet paper
- basic toiletries (soap, deodorant, shampoo, etc.)
- clothing and shoes for warm and cold weather
- laundry supplies (detergent, clothing basket, etc.)
- power strip with a surge protector
- trash can and trash can liners
- desk supplies
- box fan
- mini fridge (only one per room and four feet tall or smaller)
- cleaning supplies
- poster putty/removable 3M Command adhesive (nails in the wall are not allowed)
Residents are prohibited from bringing the following items to campus:
- air conditioners
- hot plates
- air fryers
- mug warmers
- space heaters
- alcohol/drugs and all related paraphernalia
- vapes and e-cigarettes
- candles/incense and wax heaters
- firearms or any kind of weapon (including paintball or air-soft guns)
- pets (except fish)
- halogen or oil lamps
Before you arrive on campus, please review RU’s Student Handboook. This handbook contains on-campus policies and additional helpful information.
We look forward to meeting you soon!